Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Game That Can Give You 10 Extra Years of Life






Jane McGonigal's TED speech titled, " The Game That Can Give You 10 Extra Years of Life" grabbed my attention, the reason being, I am not into games of any kind, and I don't understand why people love them so much. McGonigals claim seemed outrageous and drew me in with it's absurdity, and what I determined was an empty promise for a longer life.

As I viewed the speech through the lens of BJ Fogg's Behavior Model, I was in awe as McGonigal followed the requirements precisely. Fogg's Behavior Model requires that the 3 elements of motivation, ability, and trigger must come together at the same time for behavior to occur. Fogg has determined that if behavior does not occur, then one of those three elements is missing.

Motivation: As soon as she starts speaking,  McGonigal promises that by simply watching her speech you are guaranteed an extra 7.5 minutes of life. From the very beginning she had captured myself, and her live audience with what seems like a ridiculous claim. For most people, the idea of extending  life is very appealing. I, like them, was highly motivated to see how she was going to deliver on this promise.

The speech takes a sharp turn in the beginning from being very light and full of humor about what appears to be the silly topic of playing games, to a deeply emotional process premise of fear. McGonigal has collected the top 5 regrets of the dying, from Hospice workers, they are the following:

1. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
2. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
3. I wish I had let myself be happier.
4. I wish I had the courage to express my true self.
5. I wish I had lived a life true to my dreams, instead of what others expected of me.

As we are told what the top five regrets are of those who are at the end of their lives, we immediately feel the fear of not wanting to have those same regrets. We are not only being motivated by the hope of a longer life, but the fear of these top five regrets.

Ms. McGonigal is very aware that it is hard to take a "gamer" seriously and since she has identified herself as such, to connect cognitively with the audience, throughout her speech, she uses multiple scientific studies to back her claims. It was interesting how she seemed to solve the top regrets of the dying by playing games, and used the studies conducted at universities to give her ideas credibility.

I wish I hadn't worked so hard: A clear alternative to work, is playing games.  A study by BYU found that families who played games together tended to have closer relationships within the family.

I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends: Studies conducted by Michigan University found that online social games such as, "Words with Friends" and "Farmville" are powerful relationship management tools that keep people connected.

I wish I had let myself be happier: Research at East Carolina University determined that 30 minutes a day of online game play was more powerful than pharmaceuticals in treating depression.

McGonigal admits she is not on her death bed, but a traumatic brain injury that had her wishing for death led to the creation of her game, "Super Better." As she struggled with living, she decided that she needed to make a game out of her healing, or die. She explains to the audience the benefits of making healing into a game and how it is proven that by regularly doing small activities that address Physical Resilience, Mental Resilience, Emotional Resilience & Social Resilience you can add 10 years to your life expectancy.

Abilities: McGonigal walks the viewing audience through a series of activities that can be done from your chair. These are simple activities, like the ones you would experience when playing her game, “Super Better,”  that require little effort but reap multiple benefits. Examples of the activities range from lifting your hands in the air, counting backwards from 50, shaking the hand of a neighbor for 6 seconds, or sending out a message of gratitude via text. Because of how easy and accessible these activities were, the entire audience participated.

The trigger in this speech is McGonigal herself. She has charisma, she gets the audience to laugh, and she gets them to connect with her message. McGonigal also comes across as credible, not only does she draw from her education and area of expertise, she has had her own personal experience.

This speech definitely has me looking at games in a new light. I participated in the activities that McGonigal did during her speech, I looked up the app, “ Super Better”, and I will likely buy it. McGonigal did a great job of implementing  Fogg's Behavior Model.


8 comments:

  1. Very interesting for sure! I am not sure just over 7 minutes more of life would be a motivator for me to do something. By the time I am at the age ready to die why prolong it :). Very interesting topic. I would play devil's advocate a little and say, what about the games that are causing depression. There has been a lot of talk lately about social media and games of sorts causing an increase in depression rather than resolving those feelings? I just feel there are too many other factors involved to just associate the positive growth to gaming, very subjective. Just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pales in comparison to all the minutes and hours lost playing Farmville. Kidding aside, she asks a valid question - who is she to make this connection? She shifts into the affective consequence, empathy, of her speech making this effective. Thanks for your application.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great topic you chose! She totally changed my prospective on video games. Before I was against of it and saw it as complete time waste. But this lady....she is sharp! She changed my mind.
    It was amazing to learn more about her life and the struggles she experienced with a head injury.
    And 7 extra minutes of my life...heck yea! I will go skydive :)
    Thanks Angelee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, what is your avatar like?
    This is an interesting topic. She does do a great job walking through each of the important elements of Fogg's model. I really like how she draws her audience in with the games and allows them to experience how to gain more life.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angelee, I'm so glad you posted this talk. I am not a video game player but my children are. I was raised with the old standard of self reliance and constantly working to justify your existence and not waste the time you have bee given. Hence, I never learned to play without guilt. Something I have worked to overcome for the last 30 years. I really enjoyed her perspective. Her talk especially became interesting to me when she started talking about her brain injury. I have a daughter who sustained a traumatic brain injury in a car accident almost 3 years ago. She has suffered the same symptoms described and more. She has undergone 3 surgeries to the nerves in her head to minimize the pain she was enduring. She has also done this same type of game playing to 'save' herself from the destructive pain. Amazing brains! This talk has given me a new perspective on the value of video games. I'm going to have my daughter watch this talk. I may even learn to play video games myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so interesting!!! I too am old school when it comes to video games. I tell my kids that video games are a waste of time. I have been enlightened and have changed my perspective on gaming. I still don't want my sons to be gamers, but I will not be as stressed about the time they spend gaming now. She did a great job of using empathy to make her point. I also appreciate reading the comments from others on the topic. Especially Rachel Terry. Good idea to learn a few of the games so we can play with our kids. I will try to not be so negative about video games in the future.

    ReplyDelete